- Clarity Understand the audience and the intended message
What are the audience members' ages, cultural backgrounds, interests, and educational levels? Knowing your learners and meeting the needs of your audience are the most important considerations in a video production.
Articulate a simple clear practical message with 5-6 or fewer key points
- Storyboard Map out and the video and
- Collecting raw footage. Use the story board to ensure sufficient “raw” video footage is collected
Collect scenery and environment to be integrated into the finished project
- Length Keep the video short (less than 3 minutes – 2 is often better) and make it exciting and interesting – relate the message to people’s lives
Except in the case of multi-million dollar blockbusters, people lose focus after a short time. “There is a reason why most popular songs are short."
Make multiple short videos rather hen one long video
- Pretest Have key target parties check the video for clarity of message and suggestions for improvement– make sure focus groups are representative of the target audiences
- Delivery. Think about potential audiences – develop so people across cultures can relate to the music and people on the video.
- Developers Choose a respected team that are focused on making the project work
- Practice. When working with people unused to the camera, get them comfortable by having them go through multiple takes and guide them on what works and what does not
- Document. For each tape, document speakers, places, plants etc. to avoid later doubts.
- Credit. In the credits acknowledge the work of all the people who helped
- Sound. Choose if you want talking or text.
Sound is often the hardest part of a video to get right
- Make the video too long or academic
- Let the whole process take forever – stick to the timeline
- Let the budgets get out of control
- Lose the project by keeping it on one computer or all in one place
- Get locked into one approach for telling the story … later when you review the materials other better ways may emerge